Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mighty works displayed for all to see

I am sorry, my friends, for not posting on Saturday as promised.  It has proven to be a crazy busy weekend for me, which is somewhat unusual.  I needed to use the down time intervals for my family, not for the computer.  But I am here now and ready to share more quilt show pictures.  Let me warn you that the show requests no flash photography, so some of the pictures have glare and are a bit dark.  Let me also get on my soapbox and say that more than half of the people I saw taking pictures were using those mini cameras with auto flash functions and it was really unnerving.   I wanted to tell them to read the book and find the OFF button.  But, then I remembered that I don't know how to use most of the buttons on my camera, so I (uncharacteristically) zipped it and moved on.

It's not a quilt, but it's still very eye catching:




These Lollipops are actually tightly rolled bias tapes in colorful patterns and motifs.  They are packaged like the old-time lollipops (or suckers, if you're Southern) and they are adorable.  They, like their sugary counterparts, make you want to grab one and carry it around, smiling at it.






Next, we have a waterfall cascade of quilted circles.  At first, I thought they were yo-yo's, but they are similar to coasters amazingly stitched in the round, then connected in a cascade.  I thought the color gradation was well-executed and included those in-between shades.  I could totally see this hanging in a well lit hallway, entry, or family room.  It was beautiful!





Another wall hanging quilt that really impressed me is shown below.  Maybe it's the civil engineer in me, but I really thought the tunnel perspective was well done.  The fabric patterns emulated  the look of brick, concrete for the tunnel ceiling, and asphalt pavement.  And, of course, it was titled "The Light at the End of the Tunnel."


I have to add this one again because the art work was stunning.  The artist actually painted the facial expressions onto the fabric. That's brave (and begs the question of how to wash it).  The suns are very intricately pieced.  I still think of Tomi de Paola :)



This wonderful bed-sized quilt was a show award winner.  I know my picture doesn't do the work justice, but trust me when I say it's an applique wonderland.  So many patterns and motifs - maybe too many - but the full size effect is rather pleasing.  One major benefit of using this quilt, you can pick any color of wall paint and it would surely work!


The last quilt I'd like to share was a major award winner for the show.  It's entirely done by hand, which the purist in my mother would love, and it's beautiful.  I chose not to capture the full quilt in order to highlight the workmanship.  It includes several different types of applique (my mother can name them all, but I can't) and several intricate runs of hand worked runching.  The quilting is so precise, you could hang it backward and it would be a work of art on its own

Well, thus ends another year of fun at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show.  I keep badgering my sister-in-law to fly into town one year and attend the show with me.  She is a fabulous quilter and has made beautiful wall hangings for her family by designing landscape scenes (um, K, I am still waiting and not feeling the love - just saying).   Her work evokes serenity. 

Have a good week!  I'll see you back here soon.

2 comments:

I thank you for visiting with me and for sharing your thoughts. I hope your day is fabulous and that you make some time for music - no matter what kind!