Monday, January 6, 2014

Jesus in disguise

Happy New Year to all my friends and family! You may have noticed that no Christmas greeting card was sent from this Domestic Church. It was on the list of things to do....but the picture taking attempt was abysmal and time became short and precious. My hope is to send Valentine Cards to all we know, reminding them how much we love and appreciate them.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Meanwhile, back in the Domestic Church, we spent our weeks off together laughing and lounging in pajamas. As we prepared to reenter the worlds of school and work, we celebrated Epiphany a day early with wonderful readings during Mass. I really enjoy how our Church coordinates the Old Testament, the Psalms, the New Testament, and the Gospel readings each Sunday to present a unified message. (Sunday's readings are listed here, if you are interested.) One of our newest deacons proclaimed the Gospel and delivered a spectacular homily. He traced a bit of the Kings' paths across desert lands and pointed out their unfailing desire to pay homage to an unknown King - one of a different ethnicity and of possibly a different god. He pointed out their willingness to accept this unknown child as an equal.

Then Deacon Dave reminded us all that we are called to accept one another as equals - each made in the image of God.

That hit home in this household of "he's teasing me!", "she's taunting me!", and so on.

During dinner Sunday evening, we revisited the message of the homily and readings. We discussed it's impact and implication on not only our family, but also the people of our community and workplaces. Frankly, we don't always agree or like those we work alongside.  Do you? Be honest :)

Jazz perked up and interjected, "it's like Jesus in Disguise!"

I think I heard angels singing as I realized my daughter was quoting song lyrics. Yes! The crazy gene is definitely spreading into the next generation. I praised her for quoting Brandon Heath's lyrics.

"Oh, no, Mama. That's from Diary of a Wimpy Kid."

Crushed. I'm so crushed!

To brighten your day on a cold, blustery day, here's a sunny surprise:


We are expected to hit a record low tomorrow.  Apparently, we've not been this cold since 1890something or another.  Since it doesn't come with snow or pretty ice drenched foliage, I am planning to stay inside and bundled, clutching mugs of hot coffee or tea, and dreaming of steamy August days.  Those of you experiencing "real winter" (i.e. Aunt Karen), you are allowed to roll your eyes and laugh.

Be warm.

Today's post title from Brandon Heath's Jesus in Disguise, or from Diary of a Wimpy Kid , depending on your level of crazy.


1 comment:

  1. Just want you to know how I love reading your thoughts - and love the pictures. Some day when you head North, maybe you will spend some time with us in Vermont! Have a wonderful 2014. Linda - Grandmother to Clyde, Maizie and Kora!

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for visiting with me and for sharing your thoughts. I hope your day is fabulous and that you make some time for music - no matter what kind!