Friday, April 6, 2012

Come to the feast of heaven and earth

We celebrated the Mass of the Lord's Supper last night.  It was beautiful and inspiring.  The sacramental oils blessed at the Chrism Mass earlier in the week were presented.  We retold the story of Jesus the teacher becoming Jesus the servant and washing the feet of his disciples.  We celebrated in communion with our Hispanic community, having readings proclaimed both in English and in Spanish, and having service music performed in both languages.

Late yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call asking if I'd take part in the ritual foot washing - someone had to back out and another was needed.  It pays to have friends in high places....my good friend works in the church office and she knows I'll help out whenever I am needed.

I handed my camera to another friend as I stepped up to help washing.  She snapped so many fabulous pictures for me and I am thankful.

holy.thursday

holy.thursday
That's me on the left in the white jacket.  Even the children take part.

holy.thursday
I love the image of this father bringing his tiny son for washing.


At the end of the Mass, the worship center was stripped of ceremonious materials.  The candles, the lectionary and the altar cloths are removed in preparation for Good Friday.  The Blessed Sacrament is then presented for adoration.  We exit in silence, as those remaining are in prayer and contemplation.

holy.thursday


No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for visiting with me and for sharing your thoughts. I hope your day is fabulous and that you make some time for music - no matter what kind!