Monday, September 3, 2012

Taste and See

School starts tomorrow for our little Domestic Church. The older children are all ready and very excited. Classic Rock's starting a rigorous high school program and Zydeco's starting a fabulous magnet middle school program, while Jazz is returning to her sweet and wonderful elementary school. We, as parents, are still trying to grasp that our child is old enough for high school. Really, when did that happen? And when did he suddenly pass me in height?

Okay, so he passed me about a year ago because I'm short, but the high school part makes him seem so much taller.

This evening, Zydeco and Jazz helped me bake the coming week's lunch box goodies.

Wielding the chef's knife

Manning the mixer station

During dinner, they voted on Raw Cookie Dough Bites and Oatmeal Fruit Bars. I don't have a link for the bar recipe because it was given to me by a friend. I like that it uses whole wheat flour and flax seed meal, along with loads of fruits. The recipe is very adaptable, too. If we feel like cranberries, then I add orange extract and almonds. If we want walnuts, then I add apples and apricots. (And don't tell my children, but I leave out at least half the sugar it calls for :)

My goal is let them choose the coming week's lunch box extras. I have a growing list of healthy alternative brownies, cookies, bars, and muffins for them to sample, and it's nice to have a little homemade goodness next to your sandwich, salad, and veggies.  I think Mr. Neoclassic's happy to see the school year start because it means more homemade in his lunch box.  I get a little lazy during the summer when fixing his lunches.

Enjoy the week!

1 comment:

  1. Such a great project for the whole family to work on together.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for visiting with me and for sharing your thoughts. I hope your day is fabulous and that you make some time for music - no matter what kind!