Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Yummy yummy yummy, I got love in my tummy

In my last post, I mentioned the fabulous chocolate chip cookies we'd baked and promised I'd share the recipe. Chocolate chip is definitely my favorite cookie flavor and is my first choice for baking. That said, I really don't like baking cookies! Much like my intense dislike of muffin pans, I can't stand waiting around on individual trays of cookies to bake. Then waiting for them to cool. Repeat cycle as necessary....and, sadly folks, that's with me having a double wall oven! Most cookie recipes have to be doubled and then require two hours or so for all those pans to bake their 10 - 15 minutes.

Yes, my attention span is really that short.

Where was I? Oh yeah, sharing a recipe.

This is the THICK AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE recipe from America's Test Kitchen. A few years ago, my father-in-law gifted us with The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, years 2001-2010. It's become our favorite go-to reference for how to cook almost everything because it explains the science of particular cooking processes. I am pretty sure my FIL intended to assist my cooking endeavors since Mr. Neoclassic has been our main chef. I'm not offended in the least but really didn't admit that I only use the cookbook for baking recipes :)

For the record, Jazz baked the first two recipes of these cookies for us.  From start to finish - and she did a great job.  Until she wandered off when the last pan was still baking.  Wonder where she gets that weird trait?

I love the bit of chocolate covering the tooth!
My food photos are never very good, so I snapped
Irish Jig scarfing down the last cookie of the batch.

ATK tells us that these delectable beauties profit from melting and cooling the butter prior to blending with the sugars.  Additional fat from an egg yolk ensures tenderness and prevents the cookie from hardening over time.  (You know, in the three minutes prior to it being devoured).

2 cups + 2 TBSP flour (we use King Arthur unbleached all-purpose)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 TBSP unsalted butter (a stick and a half!), melted and cooled
1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar (we use light because it's what's in the house)
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we use the Costco/ Kirkland chips, which have responsibly sourced cacoa)

Preheat oven(s) to 325F and place racks in upper and lower thirds.  Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.

1. Whisk flour, soda, and salt.  Set aside.
2. In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, beat sugars and melted butter at medium speed until smooth.  Add the egg and egg yolk, along with the vanilla, and beat on medium-low.  Add the dry ingredients a little at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary.  Mix in chocolate chips until just incorporated.
3. Divide the dough into 18 portions (for large bakery sized cookies) or 36 (for regular dinky-you're-so-stingy sized cookies).  Roll each portion, then break the ball into two, rotate those pieces 180 degrees and stick them back together.  This puts the rough, pulled apart edges outward and gives more of a rustic bakery look.  They will spread, so give them room on the pans.
4. Bake until the cookies are light golden brown and edges begin to harden.  Usually about 15 - 18 minutes, and rotate the pans halfway through.  (Truth moment:  I rotated the first time we baked these and haven't ever since.  They still come out wonderfully).

After typing "12 TBSP butter," I more fully understand the now-apparent tightness of my jeans.


Today's blog post title originally recorded by Ohio Express.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for visiting with me and for sharing your thoughts. I hope your day is fabulous and that you make some time for music - no matter what kind!